Adult First Aid Course Description:
The Adult First Aid course incorporates the latest science and teaches students to recognize and care for a variety of first aid emergencies such as burns, cuts, scrapes, sudden illnesses, head, neck, back injuries, heat and cold emergencies. Successful students will receive a certificate for Adult First Aid/CPR/AED valid for two years.
- Describe how to recognize an emergency and gain confidence to act.
- Explain how to lower the risk for infection when giving care.
- Understand legal concepts as they apply to lay responders, such as consent.
- Describe the emergency action steps: CHECK—CALL—CARE.
- Identify when it is necessary to call 9-1-1 or the designated emergency number.
- Explain how to check an injured or ill person who appears to be unresponsive.
- Explain how to check a responsive injured or ill person.
- Demonstrate high-quality CPR and use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) for a person who
is in cardiac arrest.
- Demonstrate first aid care for a person who is choking.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of, and describe appropriate first aid care for, the following
sudden illnesses: shock, asthma attack, anaphylaxis, heart attack, opioid overdose, diabetic
emergencies, high fever, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration.
- Describe methods used to control life-threatening bleeding, including the application of direct pressure
and the application of a commercial tourniquet.
- Demonstrate the application of direct pressure to control life-threatening bleeding.
- Explain when a commercial tourniquet should be used, and describe the basic principles of using a
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of, and describe appropriate first aid care for, the following injuries
and environmental illnesses: burns; head, neck and spinal injuries (including concussion); heat stroke;
hypothermia; poison exposure.
The two delivery methods for the curriculum are listed below:
Adult First Aid (Traditional)
- Delivery: Traditional/Instructor-Led
- Duration: 2.25 hours
- Price: $70 (Includes the eBook, certification, & a face shield key chain)
Adult First Aid (Blended)
- Delivery: Blended Learning/Hybrid
- Duration of Online Simulation: 2.5 hours
- Duration of In-Person Skills Session: 1.25 hours
- Price: $60 (Includes the skills session, certification, & face shield key chain)
**The online course is assigned after you complete registration. Please be on the lookout for your assignment.**
You must complete the online course prior to your testing session. Bring a hard-copy of the Completion Certificate with you to your skills session. We cannot test you without this certificate.
ARC Account Assistance & Tech Support:
- Call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
- Email email@example.com
- Chat at redcrosslearningcenter.org after logging in. When an agent is available, you will see the icon “CLICK TO CHAT” located in the lower right of the page.