BLS Course Description:
This class is specifically designed for healthcare professionals (Doctors, Physician Assistants, Nurses, EMTs, Paramedics, Dentists, Dental Assistants, etc.) and those entering a program of study in the medical field. This class is for initial & renewal students. Course completion cards are issued upon completion of the course and are valid for two years.
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe all the steps in the Chains of Survival
- Apply the BLS concepts of the Chains of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult, a child, and an infant
- Describe the importance of early use of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of an AED
- Provide effective ventilation by using a barrier device
- Describe the importance of teams in multirescuer resuscitation
- Perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction for an adult, a child, and an infant
The two delivery methods for the BLS curriculum are listed below:
- Delivery: Face-to-Face
- Duration: 3 hours
- Price: $60.00
We teach using a traditional learning approach using American Heart Association video where you will practice the skills while watching the video. There will be plenty of hands-on practice of the skills presented in the video so every student will leave the class confident in the topics taught during the course. A practical exam and a written exam are given at the end of the class. You must pass both to obtain an AHA BLS Certification card. The passing grade on the written exam is 84%.
The required student text for this course is the 2020 Basic Life Support Provider Manual, hard-copy or eBook. Provider Manuals serve as a reference tool for use before, during, and after your course. Without the book, the student will not be permitted to participate in the course. Out of respect for the time of all students, we will not delay the start of class to purchase AHA products, including eBooks.
- eBook (AHA Product #20-3102, ISBN # 978-1-61669-799-0): https://shopcpr.heart.org/bls-provider-manual-eboo…
- Hard-Copy Manual (AHA Product #20-1102, ISBN # 978-1-61669-768-6): https://shopcpr.heart.org/bls-provider-manual
- We do sell hard-copy BLS Student Manuals in the classroom if you chose not the purchase a book in advance, which can be added at check out during registration or upon arrival to class.
- Delivery: Blended Learning/Hybrid
- Duration of HeartCode BLS Online: 1.5 hours (link to purchase below)
- Duration of In-Person Skills Session: 1 hour
You must complete the HeartCode BLS online prior to your testing session. Bring a hard-copy of the Completion Certificate with you to your skills session. We cannot test you without this certificate. If you have not yet completed the course online, you can find the link to purchase here: https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartcode-bls
- AHA Account & Purchasing Assistance: https://shopcpr.heart.org/contact
- AHA Tech Support: https://elearning.heart.org/static/contactus
- Technical Requirements: https://elearning.heart.org/courseTechnicalRequire…